Sunday, August 10, 2014

INVOKE MARY IN THE TIMES OF TEMPTATIONS


Invocation of Mary in Time of Temptations 
HASTE, my Mother, run to help me;  Mother, haste, do not delay; See from Hell the envious serpent Comes my trembling soul to slay.
Ah! his very look affrights me, And his cruel rage I fear; Whither fly, if he attacks me? See him, see him coming near!
Lo! I faint away with terror, For if yet thou dost delay, He will dart at me his venom; Then, alas! I am his prey.
Cries and tears have nought availed me,  Spite of all I see him there; Saints I call till I am weary. Still he stands with threatening air.
Now his mighty jaws are open, And his forked tongue I see; Ah! he coils to spring upon me Mother! hasten, make him flee.
Mary! yes, the name of Mary Strikes with dread my cruel foe;  Straight he flees as from the sunbeam Swiftly melts the winter’s snow.
Now he’s gone; but do thou ever Stay beside me, Mother dear; Then the hellish fiend to tempt me Never more will venture near.
St. Alphonsus Liguori
Invocation of Mary in Time of Temptations 

HASTE, my Mother, run to help me;  
Mother, haste, do not delay; 
See from Hell the envious serpent 
Comes my trembling soul to slay.

Ah! his very look affrights me, 
And his cruel rage I fear; 
Whither fly, if he attacks me? 
See him, see him coming near!

Lo! I faint away with terror, 
For if yet thou dost delay, 
He will dart at me his venom; 
Then, alas! I am his prey.

Cries and tears have nought availed me,  
Spite of all I see him there; 
Saints I call till I am weary. 
Still he stands with threatening air.

Now his mighty jaws are open, 
And his forked tongue I see; 
Ah! he coils to spring upon me 
Mother! hasten, make him flee.

Mary! yes, the name of Mary 
Strikes with dread my cruel foe;  
Straight he flees as from the sunbeam 
Swiftly melts the winter’s snow.

Now he’s gone; but do thou ever 
Stay beside me, Mother dear; 
Then the hellish fiend to tempt me 
Never more will venture near.

St. Alphonsus Liguori

No comments:

Post a Comment