Wednesday, October 16, 2013

FULFILLMENT OF MY CHRISTIAN DUTIES IS WHAT COUNTS



Another brother of our Order, Father Didaco of Saint Matthias (who had been for quite a long time confessor at the Monastery of the Visitation in Ávila), a zealous servant of God was very ill in bed. At that time while I was assisting at the Holy Mass I fell again in profound meditation, during which I saw this priest that died and without touching Purgatory he rose directly towards Heaven. Later I learned that he died indeed at the hour when I had the vision. I was taken by surprise that he had not had to minimally touch Purgatory. However, it was explained to me later, that he had been a religious very faithful to his vows, for that he benefited from the Sabbatine privilege, thus he had no need of Purgatory. I don’t know why I was told this but I think that in this way I was meant to understand that it is not the wearing of the habit that fulfills the religious man and that just being a religious is not enough to obtain the benefit which is promised to him by his religious condition which is a state of higher perfection.

—Saint Teresa of Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment