Sunday, May 18, 2014

5TH SUNDAY EASTER TIME YEAR A, JESUS, THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND LIFE


If we are half dead Christians, we should enlist with Jesus. He who said, "I am the Way!" will recharge us with His spiritual cables and get us into the fast lane.

Theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer was hanged in 1945 by the Nazis. Before his execution, he told a fellow prisoner, "This is the beginning of a new life." A British officer later said, "Dietrich knew the WAY he was going."

A poet wrote that you do not know the meaning of a person's life until he is dead. Is that true of everyone? I think not. But it was true of the Christ and His servant, Dietrich. It could be true of us yet.

We owe that blunt apostle Thomas much. The Master said, "You know the way to the place where I am going." "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How do we know the way?" Thomas wanted a heavily marked AAA roadmap as well as road flares. His doubts provoked Jesus to say, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." Just eight words but arguably the most important words spoken in the 5000 years of recorded history.

That line rang like a loud bell in the ears of Thomas and his friends. It still so sounds in the 21st century.


A man lost his way in Boston and asked a fellow for directions but was rather confused with his reply.

He asked another and received the following reply:, "Follow me and I'll show you the way." The man had become his guide. He relaxed. Happily for us, Jesus is our guide. He does not give directions in hundreds of words. Nor does He say, "You can't miss it." Rather, He informs us confidently that He is the way. More to the point, He says, "Follow me. I'll show you the fast way."

Professors have said to us, "I have taught you the truth as I understand it." But no professor was so presumptuous to say, "I am the Truth." None except One and that is the reason we come here today to worship Him. So we pray the 86th Psalm, "Teach me thy way, O Lord, and I will walk in thy truth."  Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, and Einstein, great thinkers all, were, like us, confused. They sought the truth. and found that this exist only where Jesus is.


No comments:

Post a Comment